Christine Potterf married John C. Ozias March 6, 1851 in Preble County, Ohio.
The couple had ten children.
Buchanan County, Iowa. John was a farmer and Christine was a housewife. The family lived in Iowa for nearly 20 years, but by 1875 they were in Nemaha County, Kansas, after having made a long enough stop in Missouri to have their last child.
|1875 Kansas State census, Nemaha County.|
I'm not sure what drove the Ozias family to hop through four different states in a twenty-year period. I have found no evidence of "wrong doing" so I can only assume that it was either an internal need to keep moving or an attempt to find better farming acreage.
John Ozias died just a couple of years after they settled in Kansas. It appears that their son William took over the family farm and Christine continues to run the house. Christine died January 20, 1899.
Printed in The Seneca Tribune, January 26, 1899.
Her sons, Joseph and Ernest, were a part of the "famous" 20th Kansas Volunteer Infantry, which I wrote about here. Both Christine and John Ozias are buried in Centralia Cemetery in Centralia, Kansas.
|Findagrave.com, photo by L. Hinrichsen|
1. Try to determine why the family moved so often.
2. Determine where the family lived in Missouri.
This post is part of my on-going goal of 2013 to research each of my 32 3rd great-grandparents more in-depth. Christine is #4 on my list.
- Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research. Ohio, Marriages, 1803-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. John C. Ozias and Christian Potterf, 6 March 1851. Original data: Preble County, Ohio Marriages, 1808-1900. County court records located at Eaton, Ohio. Family History Library film #0564963 & 0564858 - 0564859 & 0564963.
- Genealogical & Historical Records of Preble County, Ohio. John C. Ozias and Christine Potterf marriage, 6 March 1851. Preble County District Library, Ohio.
- Ancestry.com.. Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009. J.C. Ozias and family, Illinois Township, Nemaha County, Kansas, page 2 of 8. Original data: 1875 Kansas State Census. Microfilm reels K-1 – K-20. Kansas State Historical Society.