Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Matrilineal Monday - Harriett Potts

Harriett Potts is my 3rd great grandmother on my father's maternal side. She was born in Sibley, Missouri on September 7, 1836. Sibley is a small town on the very eastern edge of Jackson County, Missouri. Harriett was the third of nine known children to Joseph W. and Mary (Grainger) Potts. Both Joseph and Mary Potts were born in Tennessee, but by the birth of their first child in 1831 they were living in Missouri. By 1839 they were living in Warrensburg, Johnson County, Missouri, which is presumably where they lived until their deaths.
I have found no proof, but according to some other trees online it appears that both Joseph and Mary Potts died sometime between 1857 and 1859. Those years must have been difficult for the children, coupled with the coming Civil War. The Potts sons were very involved with the Civil War in Johnson County, Missouri. I have found record of at least four of the five brothers fighting in the Civil War. Harriett's brother, James, was killed in 1862 while fighting with Co. G, 7th Regiment Missouri State Militia Cavalry.
Harriett married Thomas Jefferson Burnett in Johnson County, Missouri on March 24, 1858. The couple had eight children, two dying in infancy.
The Burnett family moved around west Missouri for several years and finally settled in Kingsville, Missouri by 1880. Thomas was a farmer and served as Justice of the Peace for several years and Harriett stayed at home with the family. Thomas died in 1905 and was buried in Kingsville Cemetery, Johnson County, Missouri. Harriett died February 19, 1919, in Pleasant Hill, Cass County, Missouri, I am assuming she was living with her daughter at the time. She was laid to rest next to her husband in Kingsville.

As is true with many of my ancestors I know little of what Harriett was actually like. Based on her husband's obituary I believe that they attended the Christian church in Kingsville, but that is the extent of my knowledge. Sadly, the only thing I can think of to locate more on Harriett is the following:

1. Find her obituary.

This post is part of my on-going goal of 2013 to research each of my 32 3rd great-grandparents more in-depth. Harriett is #10 on my list.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Good job - keep it up!

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Thanks, Wendy! I'm a quarter of the way done with this goal...I'm hoping to keep up the pace.

Warren T said...

Cool. Harriet Potts Burnett was my wife's Great-Great Grandmother.