Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Military Monday - Missouri Division WWI histories online

As I have written about here and here, my distant cousin James Smith Trabue fought and died in World War I. He was assigned to Company H, 356th Regiment, 89th Infantry Division. Eighty years later I was assigned as an Army Reserve Soldier to the heraldic descendant of the 89th ID, the 89th Army Reserve Command (ARCOM) and later 89th Regional Support Command (RSC).
The patch of the 89th Infantry Division as used in WWI. The red portion indicates that the owner of the patch was in an artillery unit.
I feel a special bond to the 89th so I was excited to see that the Missouri Digital Heritage site, in collaboration with the National World War I Museum, has digitized the World War I histories of the 89th Infantry Division and the 35th Infantry Division, both filled with Missouri and Kansas Soldiers, among other states. Explore this great collection of WWI history here.

Unfortunately, the unit history for my cousin's company, Company H, is not available. However, the WWI museum tells me that they are in the process of digitizing their collection and who knows what treasures we will find!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My grandfather's brother, Clarence Walsh, was a private with Co H 356 Inf (Company H, 356th Regiment, 89th Infantry Division), enlisted April 1 – 18, 1918, discharged June 11 – 19, 1919. The names of battles Clarence was involved in, included; Argonne-Meuse Offensive, Oct 11 to Nov 11, Lucy Sector Sept 12 to 16, Euruesin? Sector Sept 21 to Oct 14. He was from St. Louis, Mo. From family oral history, he had post traumatic stress for the remainder of his life.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Richard, thank you for sharing your ancestor's story. I can only imagine the things he would have seen, I appreciate his service.

Unknown said...

My father's cousin, Mark John Newport, served in Co. H, 356th infantry, 89th infantry division. He was wounded (don't know what battle) in both legs. Returned to US on USS Matsonia in March of 1919. He was from St. Louis, Mo.