Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Outdoor Decorations

One tradition with holiday lights that our family always observes is a tour of the Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, Missouri to see the holiday lights. Known as "The Plaza," with your pronunciation of the "a" dictating your financial status, the Country Club Plaza was designed in 1922 and was touted as the nation's first suburban shopping district. It's architecture and fountains are amazing. But my favorite draw is Christmas when the entire shopping district, 15 city blocks, is lit with Christmas lights.
Photo by ChrisM70 via Flickr.com
The Plaza is lit on Thanksgiving night with a celebration that draws thousands. My family went to the lighting ceremony when I was little and as soon as I could drive I started heading there with my friends. It was a tradition that we kept for years until I moved away. The lights stay on through early January.

There is something about the lights that just makes it seem like the holidays.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history 24 different ways during 24 days in December! Learn more here.

No comments: